Norfolk politician celebrates after his relative Kirani James wins Olympic 400m gold medal
A Norfolk politician last night said he was going to crack open some Grenadian rum in celebration after one of his relatives became the 2012 Olympic champion in the men's 400m final.
The second cousin of Labour's Norwich South prospective parliamentary candidate Clive Lewis, Grenada's Kirani James, added the Olympic title to his world championship gold medal last night when he ran the 400m course in an amazing 43.94 seconds.
He won Grenada's first ever Olympic gold medal with his impressive victory.
Last year's world championships in Daegu saw him win the 400m just two days before his 19th birthday – it was his first major international gold medal in only his fourth professional appearance.
Mr Lewis, who is related to James on his dad's side, said James was a credit to the island.
Straight after watching the race, he said: 'I am going to crack open some Grenadian rum!
'It is unbelievable. It is going to be absolute chaos in Grenada – there will be a national holiday.'
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 6 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 7 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 8 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 9 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 10 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
He added: 'He absolutely destroyed everyone. It was phenomenal. I know they will be going mad in Grenada.
'I'm so proud of him.'
For more Olympic news see page eight of today's paper and our eight-page London Calling supplement
Are you related to an Olympian? Call Norwich Evening News reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email email@example.com