Inquest hears man died after overdosing on own medication
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk man with a history of overdosing on prescription medication was released from a hospital with a two-week supply of drugs, an inquest heard.
Paul David Bailey, 46, died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) King's Lynn on December 2, 2017, after taking an overdose of his own medication earlier that day.
The inquest, held in Norwich on Wednesday, heard prior to his death he was released from Great Yarmouth psychiatric services with a two week supply of pills.
Mr Bailey, of Basil Drive, Downham Market, had a history of depression, anxiety and intentionally overdosing on prescription medication, the inquest heard.
His GP, Dr Koteeswaran, said in a statement that Mr Bailey's prescriptions were issued on a twice weekly basis, after an intentional overdose in 2017.
You may also want to watch:
On November 22, 2017 Mr Bailey was admitted to the QEH, and later discharged, intending to stay with his brother in Plymouth.
But he changed his mind, and instead returned to his flat in Downham Market, where he was found on December 2 by his partner Carley Orton, having taken an overdose.
- 1 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 2 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 3 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 4 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 6 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
Miss Orton and her daughter called the emergency services at 12.47pm, again at 13.41pm, and again at 14.30pm.
An ambulance was dispatched after the 14.30pm call, but it was diverted to another emergency.
During this time Mr Bailey continued to take prescription drugs and began to self harm.
After a fourth call at 14.49pm another ambulance was dispatched, arriving at 15.13pm.
Mr Bailey was taken to the QEH where his condition deteriorated and he died later that day.
In a statement read by the coroner Miss Orton told the court Mr Bailey was 'released with a two week supply of medications which shouldn't have happened as he was still on twice weekly scripts.
'We feel he wasn't given the help he needed and we are left with a large empty space in our family.'
In a statement, pathologist Doctor El-Dali told the court: 'The most likely cause of death is cardiac arrest and respiratory depression with a secondary cause of drug overdose.'
Jacqueline Lake, senior coroner for Norfolk, recorded a short narrative conclusion that Mr Bailey died following an overdose of his prescribed medication.
She said: 'I don't think Mr Bailey intended to end his own life. I think he was using [the overdose] as more of a threat.'