Rural weekend bus route that was due to be scrapped could now be saved
- Credit: Dominic Bareham
Talks are underway to save a bus service due to be scrapped in two weeks time.
Norfolk Coachways, provider of the Saturday-only NC1 return service from Attleborough to Diss, announced in January that the last day of service would be February 24.
The services connects the villages of Old Buckenham, New Buckenham, Banham, Quidenham, East Harling, North Lopham, South Lopham, Bressingham and Roydon with Attleborough and Diss.
But since Norfolk County Council, which funds the service, abandoned a decision to cut bus subsidies earlier this year, it is now looking at whether the route can be saved.
A spokesman for NCC said: 'Norfolk Coachways gave NCC notice that they will be ending the contract for the NC1 service, with the final service provided on February 24 2018.
'At the time of their decision we were facing £500,000 of budget cuts to bus subsidies and were unsure whether we would be able to replace the service. As these budget cuts did not go ahead, we have now been discussing the future of the service with Norfolk Coachways and other providers to see if we can identify a way that the service can continue.
'We are also looking to gain further information from current service users to better understand their needs in the area.'
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
Brian Taylor, 83, from New Buckenham, said: 'A lot of residents in the villages rely on this bus service. It's more like a little community as a lot of people don't drive or own a car, so it's their way out on a weekend to meet people.'
Norfolk Coachways was not prepared to make a comment.
In an earlier statement, a spokesman for the firm said: 'It is with regret that we have to inform passengers on our Saturday service NC1 to Diss that we intend to cancel this service.
'This has not been an easy decision for us. Unfortunately even though the service has a core of loyal passengers travelling every week the ridership in general has been falling.
'Norfolk Coachways has effectively been subsidising this service for some time and would need to continue doing so into the foreseeable future which we are not prepared to do.'