‘Hero’ Aviva employee saves young girl from burning home - while wearing Superman T-shirt
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A father-of-four who wore a Superman T-shirt as he rescued a young girl from a burning home has been praised for his heroic actions.
Adam Haden rushed to help neighbour Kim Gibson and her six-year-old daughter Mollie after a fire broke out at their home in New Costessey.
Wearing an old superhero T-shirt and Batman trousers, the 38-year-old used a step ladder to carry out a daring rescue from a first floor window.
He then ran into the burning property, on Rufus Street, to rescue the family's dog.
Mrs Gibson, 32, who managed to escape after Mr Haden saved her daughter, described him as a 'hero'.
You may also want to watch:
The Aviva employee said he had been watching TV when his son spotted flames coming from the ground floor of a neighbouring house.
'I thought they needed help and so I got my shoes on and went straight out,' Mr Haden said.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 6 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 7 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 8 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 9 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
- 10 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
'I ran round there and she [the mother] was at the front window calling for help. They were both crying.'
Armed with just a step ladder, he urged Mrs Gibson to lower her daughter into his arms as smoke billowed from the window.
Once she did, another neighbour smashed a window to release enough smoke to allow the mother to escape through the back door.
Mr Haden, of Solario Road, said: 'As she [Mrs Gibson] came out I ran across to check on her and she said her two dogs and cat were in there too.'
'One dog was in the garden and another was cowering inside [the house]. I went in to try and get it, but it just bolted out.'
Christmas tree lights are believed to have triggered the blaze, which broke out just before 11pm on Saturday, December 16.
Mrs Gibson said the fire ruined her lounge and her daughter's toys. But she added the Christmas presents were safe.
The community has since rallied to support her by setting up a JustGiving page.
Speaking about Mr Haden, she said: 'He is a hero, he really is. Thankfully he got here so quickly, because it could have been a really different story if he had not got involved.'
Mr Haden, who works in finance at Aviva and has four boys, said: 'I don't think I have done anything that anyone else would have. I just happened to be the first one there.'