Norfolk and Suffolk bikers honour frontline heroes
Motorcyclists were out in force yesterday (Sunday) to support a charity which helps British service personnel and their families.
Around 300 motorcyclists from Suffolk and Norfolk took part in a ride form Mildenhall to RAF Honington in aid of Afghan Heroes and to pay respects to service personnel who had directly died in action.
Afghan Heroes aims to help British service men and women on the front line in Afghanistan, the families of those who have fallen and those returning from duty.
The bikers gathered at Walker's Cafe in Mildenhall and took in Lakenheath, the Elveden War Memorial, Icklingham and Ingham on the route to RAF Honington.
Civilians and the military were involved in the ride which they hoped raised more than �2,500 for the charity.
Warrant Officer Spike Thompson, a motorcyclist from RAF Honington, said: 'Having served in Afghanistan and having seen the excellent work that Afghan Heroes does in support of the troops on operations we wanted to repay some of that debt.'
The ride from Mildenhall to HOnington was a Ride of Respect, the main one of which taking place at Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire.
- 1 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 2 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Revealed: Travelodge behind multi-million pound hotel development
- 7 Man threatened to petrol bomb ex-partner's home
- 8 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 9 Man who survived motorcycle crash died from Covid, inquest told
- 10 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
The Ride of Respect enables bikers of Britain to show their appreciation for service personnel and thank the people of Wootton Bassett - which was granted Royal patronage in recognition of its role in military funeral repatriations - and nearby RAF Lyneham.
For more information on the Afghan Heroes charity visit www.afghanheroes.org.uk.