No ceiling on ambition at new school
Nice classroom - all it needs now is a roof.Or does it? For Norfolk's first new school in 30 years comes complete with a state-of-the-art, open-air classroom.
Nice classroom - all it needs now is a roof.
Or does it? For Norfolk's first new school in 30 years comes complete with a state-of-the-art, open-air classroom.
The £5m Dussindale Primary School
at Thorpe St Andrew, near Norwich, will open in September. A progess report on building work was given yesterday.
Its 11 classrooms will include one that's open to the skies, set in a wooden rotunda on the first floor.
There will also be a hall, ICT suite, soft play areas and all-weather play surface.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 7 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 10 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
Dussindale primary and nursery will be able to take more than 300 pupils, and its head was named yesterday as Jane Worsdale, former head of Kelling
Primary School in north Norfolk.
She said:“The building is fantastic. There has been so much care and attention to detail, and this is the chance to really set up a wonderful new school for the community.”
Peter Hart, who chairs the interim governing body, said: “Everything is going very well. We wanted to thank all the people who have been working tremendously hard for nearly two years to see the school open.”
The two-storey school and nursery, in Dussindale Drive, should be completed at the end of July. Reception classes are already full, but children are still being enrolled for years one and two.