New Wymondham home wins South Norfolk design award
A contemporary new home in the middle of Wymondham's conservation has scooped a district council design award.
Number 28 Cock Street, Wymondham, was crowned the winner in the 11th annual South Norfolk Council Design Awards today.
The house is owned by John Wood and was designed by Lucas Hickman Smith Architects of Wymondham along with Andrew Love Architecture, Planning and Design of Bunwell, with K C Edwards Builders of Attleborough as the contractor.
The entry won the unanimous approval of the council's judges.
Colin Foulger presented the New Building Category Award to the owners, their son Matt Wood who designed the home with help from Andy Love at a ceremony at the council's headquarters in Long Stratton.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'This is a particularly sensitive site located within a Conservation Area of Wymondham in a street of mixed traditional character, containing buildings of many periods.
'We were impressed with the way in which the design responded using traditional forms and materials without copying the historic architectural details of neighbouring buildings but introducing a distinctive 21st century contemporary addition to the street scene.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 8 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
'We were unanimous in making this award because it is a wonderful example of great design.'
The owner of the winning home, John Wood added: 'We are thrilled to win this award, and we are also very proud that our son designed it. We have lived in Cock Street in Wymondham for 35 years and this home is wonderful. It is full of sun, and a very happy house.'
The panel were also impressed by the new classroom building at Langley School, which received a commendation in the New Building Category.