New Thetford boxing club could be open soon
- Credit: Archant
A fledgling sports club is hoping to soon open its doors and become a hub for the community.
The team behind the Thetford Boxing Club has been working to find premises and funding for equipment over the past few months.
After securing an industrial unit on Brunel Way the team has submitted a planning application for change of use for the building, formerly rented by Keystone Development Trust.
Boxing club founders Matthew and Sonny Dean have been in talks with Boxing England and are seeking affiliation with the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA), which would enable to club to train its members for competitions.
Matthew, a former coach at Attleborough Boxing Club, became involved with the sport while growing up in Thetford and wishes to give the same opportunity to the next generation.
Matthew said: 'Having boxed myself I know the benefits of being part of the sport, the disciplines it teaches people, and the guidance it can offer young people who may not have guidance in their life.'
The club's planning application seeks permission for it to run between 5pm and 8pm on weekdays with occasional weekend use.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 10 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
It is due for a decision by Breckland Council in September. View the application online at planning.breckland.gov.uk/OcellaWeb/planningSearch.