New Thetford boxing club could be open soon
- Credit: Archant
A fledgling sports club is hoping to soon open its doors and become a hub for the community.
The team behind the Thetford Boxing Club has been working to find premises and funding for equipment over the past few months.
After securing an industrial unit on Brunel Way the team has submitted a planning application for change of use for the building, formerly rented by Keystone Development Trust.
Boxing club founders Matthew and Sonny Dean have been in talks with Boxing England and are seeking affiliation with the Amateur Boxing Association (ABA), which would enable to club to train its members for competitions.
Matthew, a former coach at Attleborough Boxing Club, became involved with the sport while growing up in Thetford and wishes to give the same opportunity to the next generation.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew said: 'Having boxed myself I know the benefits of being part of the sport, the disciplines it teaches people, and the guidance it can offer young people who may not have guidance in their life.'
The club's planning application seeks permission for it to run between 5pm and 8pm on weekdays with occasional weekend use.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 4 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 6 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 7 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
It is due for a decision by Breckland Council in September. View the application online at planning.breckland.gov.uk/OcellaWeb/planningSearch.