New Thetford Academy principal announced
A local candidate has won through a rigorous selection process against a strong national shortlist to be appointed principal of the Thetford Academy, with immediate effect.
Governors announced last night at the academy's prize-giving ceremony that Cathy Spillane will take over as principal.
The post became vacant following the departure of Christine Carey due to ill health last term.
Mrs Spillane, who has been acting principal since the beginning of April, moved to Thetford in the 1960s.
She was educated in the town and came back to Thetford after qualifying as a teacher to head up the English department at the former Rosemary Musker High. She went on to be assistant headteacher at the former Charles Burrell High.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Spillane: 'I am very honoured to be appointed to this very important role for the young people in Thetford. Living in the town I understand the issues our young people face both at school and in the community.
'Working with a team of very good teachers and support staff, we will be moving towards making the Thetford Academy a school which everyone can be proud of in the town. 'When we have our new building it will provide a wonderful opportunity for everyone and it really will be a community resource for all ages.'
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 3 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 4 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 5 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 6 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 7 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 8 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 9 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
The school, whish is spread accorss two sites in the town, is set to move to one site on the North Campus, in Croxton Road, in September 2013.
Principal of Easton College and lead sponsor of the Thetford Academy, David Lawrence, said: 'The governors are delighted to be able to appoint Cathy as the new principal. 'We were pleased to have such a strong local candidate who has come through the tough selection process so successfully after competing with strong national competition.
'As acting principal she has made good progress in addressing the many challenges we have faced at the school. We are very confident that with the support of students, staff, parents and the wider community we can all work together to create a school which everyone can be proud of in Thetford.'