New picnic boat to launch on The Broads
- Credit: Archant
A Broads boat operator has unveiled its first new picnic boat for 25 years.
Herbert Woods, based in Potter Heigham, has launched its Starlight 24 boat.
The craft can be traced back to the original Starlight designed by Herbert Woods 85 years ago.
The boat has been launched in celebration of the company's 90 year history, and nine further day hire Starlight 24 Picnic Boats are to be launched in the coming months.
The picnic boats can be hired out by groups of up to 10 people, who can use it to take a trip along the Broads.
Michael Whitaker, partner of Herbert Woods, said: 'This is a proud day for Herbert Woods and the team that has worked hard to achieve the new design and build of Starlight 24.
'Herbert Woods pioneered the original Starlight design in the 1930s and I think he would have been delighted to see his first concept evolve into what we now have.'
- 1 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 2 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 5 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 6 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 7 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 8 £1,000 reward offered to anyone who can help bring home missing dog
- 9 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue
- 10 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
Designed by Andrew Wolstenholme, the boat has a very modern, stylish design. Mr Whitaker, said: 'It has luxuries you would expect from a modern day holiday cruiser such as a sink, toilet, fridge, hot and cold water and hot air heating.
'It has also two sliding canopies and a forward cockpit for people to take advantage of the sunny weather.'
One person who was impressed by the new boat is Tom Corbett, who is the owner of the last remaining original Starlight. Mr Corbett said: 'When I brought the last Starlight it was in a very bad state and I have spent two and a half years improving it.
'I spend more time on a boat than most people on the Broads, and I will definitely have to give the new Starlight a go.
'It is very impressive.'
Latest figures from Herbert Woods show that bookings have shot up by 40pc for bookings for picnic boat hires.
For information on how to hire a boat and its cost, call 0800 144 4472 or visit www.herbertwoods.co.uk/day-boat-hire/picnic-boats.html.