New Kenninghall story-telling chair unveiled, thanks to pub fundraiser
Plans to make reading more popular at a south Norfolk primary school have received a boost following the unveiling of a special story-telling chair.
The bespoke oak outdoor seat was shown to pupils at Kenninghall Primary School for the first time yesterday after being funded by a charity night organised by the landlords of the local pub.
Bruce and Mandy Berry, owners of the Red Lion at Kenninghall, raised �900 for the school following a band night in the village last year.
The funding boost has enabled the primary school to buy the story-telling chair, which has been placed in its new sensory garden, but can be moved to other parts of the school grounds when needed.
Sam Nixon, headteacher at Kenninghall Primary, said the new addition to the school would help get children more interested in books.
You may also want to watch:
'We are really trying to push literacy with Year 1 and 2 and it will really help to promote the joy of books to have this chair for the teaching assistants and older children to read to the younger children. It will become a real treat and the children have been really excited about it,' he said.
Mr and Mrs Berry, who have owned the Red Lion pub for the last 15 years, said they staged regular fundraisers and wanted to help local good causes.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 3 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 4 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 5 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 8 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 9 'Life begins at 70' says former TV star as she releases her new novel
- 10 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
• Kenninghall Primary is hold an open day for prospective parents of the school and the local community between 9am and 10.30am on November 24.