New discount store to open this Friday in Cromer
A new discount store is set to open in north Norfolk with the creation of up to 15 jobs - despite objections from some rival businesses.
QD, an independently owned chain of retail outlets situated throughout the East of England and the Home Counties, has been given planning permission to open a new shop at the former site of Brammalls furniture store on Cadogan Road, Cromer.
And the store, which sells homeware, pet supplies, toys and games and electrical appliances, has announced it will begin trading this Friday.
The application was unanimously approved by North Norfolk District Council in November - despite Cromer mayor Tim Adams admitting he had received some objections from rival business owners in the town.
He said: 'It would be nice to see this business fulfil a need left by Woolworths.
'This is the most suitable site as currently there is little retail space left in Cromer and Sheringham, which is a very different situation in the rest of the country.'
QD Stores group chief executive Nick Rubins said: 'Effectively QD was one of the first discounters on the High Street in East Anglia and, despite strong competition, our business continues to thrive and remains a key part of the local communities in which we operate.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 4 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 9 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 10 Elderly driver taken to hospital after village green crash