New artistic director makes her show debut at Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre
The new artistic director of the Maddermarket Theatre has opened her first show at the Norwich venue this week.
Genevieve Raghu's directorial debut at the Maddermarket is the Noel Coward comedy Present Laughter, and the show, which opens tonight, runs until April 28.
The comedy tells of a few days in the life of Garry Essendine, a successful and self-obsessed light comedy actor who revels in being a temperamental prima donna.
Miss Raghu, a former Norwich High School student, said: 'Present Laughter is so delightful and so funny, yet at the same time it can be hard-hitting and very poignantly frightening in its confrontation of life.
'We see love in its many forms - as admiration, respect and loyalty, and also as adoration, obsession and lust. 'Everyone loves Garry Essendine – yet despite being crowded by people, he is still lonely.'
You may also want to watch:
During the show's run the international No�l Coward Society, which is based in Norwich, will be offering post-show talks, and posters from a No�l Coward exhibition in New York will also be on display at the theatre.
For her first Maddermarket show, Miss Raghu has brought in a creative team from London comprising of designer Stuart Hembrow and lighting designer Gary Bowman.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 5 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 8 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
Present Laughter is at the Maddermarket until April 28. Tickets cost �8 to �12.
For more information or to book tickets visit www.maddermarket.co.uk or call 01603 620917.