New artistic director makes her show debut at Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre
The new artistic director of the Maddermarket Theatre has opened her first show at the Norwich venue this week.
Genevieve Raghu's directorial debut at the Maddermarket is the Noel Coward comedy Present Laughter, and the show, which opens tonight, runs until April 28.
The comedy tells of a few days in the life of Garry Essendine, a successful and self-obsessed light comedy actor who revels in being a temperamental prima donna.
Miss Raghu, a former Norwich High School student, said: 'Present Laughter is so delightful and so funny, yet at the same time it can be hard-hitting and very poignantly frightening in its confrontation of life.
'We see love in its many forms - as admiration, respect and loyalty, and also as adoration, obsession and lust. 'Everyone loves Garry Essendine – yet despite being crowded by people, he is still lonely.'
During the show's run the international No�l Coward Society, which is based in Norwich, will be offering post-show talks, and posters from a No�l Coward exhibition in New York will also be on display at the theatre.
For her first Maddermarket show, Miss Raghu has brought in a creative team from London comprising of designer Stuart Hembrow and lighting designer Gary Bowman.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 3 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 4 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 5 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 6 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 7 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 10 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
Present Laughter is at the Maddermarket until April 28. Tickets cost �8 to �12.
For more information or to book tickets visit www.maddermarket.co.uk or call 01603 620917.