New 200-seater auditorium and results of revamp at Wymondham church unveiled
- Credit: Archant
The results of a major £1.5m revamp of a Wymondham church have been unveiled at a Christmas concert.
Since it moved to its Ayton Road home in 2014, work to transform Hope Community Church into a hub for groups and modern facility for churchgoers has been ongoing.
A £980,000 first phase, completed last June, saw church offices and space for community groups added, while the second £700,000 stage has now seen a former vehicle workshop converted into a 200-seater auditorium.
An incredible three quarters of the sum was raised by church members, while the transformation of the auditorium has taken just six months.
And on Sunday afternoon, the results were unveiled to churchgoers and Wymondham residents as town mayor Joe Mooney officially opened the building.
You may also want to watch:
The reveal kicked off a well-attended outdoor Christmas carol concert.
Debbie Rose, church administrator, said: 'It's been really exciting here - we've had about 350 to 400 people for the outdoor carol service who have been exploring the building.
- 1 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 5 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 8 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
'There's a real sense of excitement and everyone is in high spirits.'
Grantley Watkins, leader of Hope Community Church, has previously said that the new site, which he described as a 'community resource', will 'greatly enhance the wellbeing of Wymondham and meet many of the needs of our community'.
The auditorium will be used by the Hope Community Church and its Hub community project to house its growing number of members and activities.
It came after both groups expanded at such a rate that the church is already looking into a third phase of development which would see a 500-seat auditorium created.
• Do you have a Wymondham story for us? Email email@example.com