Mystery surrounds death of a man whose body was found in a stream near Downham Market.
- Credit: Archant © 2009
Police said the incident was not being treated as suspicious and the officers were preparing a file for the coroner.
No further details about the man or the circumstances surrounding his death were being released by the Norfolk Constabularly last night.
In an earlier statement, the force said the body was discovered at around 7am yesterday, in a field between Lynn Road and the railway line.
The area is criss-crossed with hedgerows, streams and drainage ditches which run between deep banks.
Last night, it emerged the body had been found in a stream off Wimbotsham Road, close to Heron Close.
You may also want to watch:
One woman who lives on Wimbotsham Road said she had seen police cars driving down a track leading onto the fields.
The path, which is popular with dog walkers, leads to a bridge at the junction of two shallow streams, which are at the bottom of a sheer 6ft drop.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
Norfolk fire service said a crew from Downham Market was called at 9.38am to assist police officers.
A spokesman later confirmed that firefighters had used ropes to help recover a man's body from a stream.