Mystery of Audi A3 found submerged in river near Costessey
- Credit: Archant
An Audi A3 found submerged in the River Wensum had been reported as stolen just 10 minutes earlier.
The blue vehicle was discovered with only its roof showing above the water at around 12.30am yesterday, near Hellesdon Road, Costeseey.
Just ten minutes earlier, the car had been reported as stolen from an address less than a mile away in Cadge Road.
A police spokesman said no-on was inside the vehicle when officers attended the scene between Dereham Road and Marl Pit Lane.
Norfolk Fire Service's Underwater Search and Recovery Diving Unit assisted with the vehicle's recovery.
You may also want to watch:
The car was brought out of the water at around 4pm yesterday and police said the Environment Agency had been notified.
One woman, who lives opposite the scene, said the car must have gone into the water overnight.
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 7 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 8 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 How former teacher jailed for abuse of young boys was pillar of community
Speaking anonymously, she said: 'It was not there when we went to bed, but was there when we woke up. We just hoped there was no-one inside.'
An investigation has now been launched and police are appealing for witnesses.
A police spokesman said: 'It was reported as stolen at 12.20am on Tuesday, 14 February.
'Ten minutes later officers got a further call reporting a car in the River Wensum.
'On further investigation it was confirmed the car in the river was the stolen vehicle.
'There was no-one in the vehicle.'
Meanwhile, a post on the Norwich Police Twitter account said: 'Spot the [car] If you know anything about this blue Audi A3 found in the river near Hellesdon Road this am, please call 101 quoting CAD 25 #PC71.'