My First Car: Sad end to Ford Capri – my big crush
- Credit: supplied
John Bowler was such a fan of the Ford Capri that he managed to track down, and buy back, his first car but it was beyond saving from 'tin worm'.
I was a big fan of ITV series The Professionals and Minder back in the 1970s and early 80s so my first car had to be a Ford Capri.
I earned only £27 a week so it was going to be difficult to save up and purchase anything so I persuaded my mum to talk my father into buying it for me – it helped that having a car would stop me riding a moped!.
I had some great times in that car (caught speeding on my way home from my driving test!) and travelled all over the UK with my mates visiting various nightclubs.
I regretted selling the car so much that 10 years later I traced its location – with the help of a friendly policeman – to a farmer's field in Suffolk and bought it back for the sum of £15... unfortunately the 'tin worm' had been busy so the planned renovation was cancelled and the car crushed – a decision I still regret nearly 25 years later.
You may also want to watch:
You never forget your first car so share your memories of adventures and disasters of your first set of wheels. It doesn't matter how old it is, just email your motoring memories with a picture of the car to email@example.com or post it to Andy Russell, motoring editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR