My First Car: Brickie’s bubble car not really built for five!
- Credit: supplied
While living in Berlin, Peter Forster used a BMW Isetta bubble car to get to the building site and take five people to the cinema!
My first 'car' was a BMW Isetta with a 250cc motorcycle engine which I got in 1959 in Berlin.
My dear mother bought it for me on HP for 800 Deutsche Marks and I paid her back in monthly instalments.
As a bricklaying apprentice, I drove to the building site and heard the site foreman saying to the architect: 'We come by bus and tram to the building site but the apprentice comes by car.'
We managed to squeeze five people in this 'box' – three on the seat bench, one on the luggage rack and one in the door bulge – totally illegal of course – for a trip to the cinema.
The picture was taken in Stuttgart in May 1960. The Isetta's original colour was blue, but a friend had a paint spray business for leather goods and so within two hours we changed the colour to orange.
The Isetta was sold in Hamburg in 1961 for 250 Deutsche Marks when I was on my way to Australia.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 10 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
I`m from West Berlin but have lived and worked in Suffolk since 1976.
Tell us about your first car and the adventures and scrapes you had. I doesn't matter how long ago it was, just email your motoring memories with a picture of the car to email@example.com or post it to Andy Russell, motoring editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.