My First Car: Brickie’s bubble car not really built for five!
- Credit: supplied
While living in Berlin, Peter Forster used a BMW Isetta bubble car to get to the building site and take five people to the cinema!
My first 'car' was a BMW Isetta with a 250cc motorcycle engine which I got in 1959 in Berlin.
My dear mother bought it for me on HP for 800 Deutsche Marks and I paid her back in monthly instalments.
As a bricklaying apprentice, I drove to the building site and heard the site foreman saying to the architect: 'We come by bus and tram to the building site but the apprentice comes by car.'
We managed to squeeze five people in this 'box' – three on the seat bench, one on the luggage rack and one in the door bulge – totally illegal of course – for a trip to the cinema.
You may also want to watch:
The picture was taken in Stuttgart in May 1960. The Isetta's original colour was blue, but a friend had a paint spray business for leather goods and so within two hours we changed the colour to orange.
The Isetta was sold in Hamburg in 1961 for 250 Deutsche Marks when I was on my way to Australia.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
I`m from West Berlin but have lived and worked in Suffolk since 1976.
Tell us about your first car and the adventures and scrapes you had. I doesn't matter how long ago it was, just email your motoring memories with a picture of the car to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to Andy Russell, motoring editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE.