MP Elizabeth Truss started Thetford parkrun, as part of ‘I am Team GB’ event across Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
Organisations and individuals across Norfolk took part in the nation's biggest sports day, 'I am Team GB', yesterday, as a follow-up to the Rio Olympics, which was the most successful for the British team since 1908.
The National Lottery and ITV collaborated on the event whose aim was to encourage the nation to exercise.
Parkruns across Norfolk took part and South West Norfolk MP and Justice Secretary, Elizabeth Truss started the event in Thetford.
Mel Floyd, event director, Thetford parkrun. said: 'The theme fitted in well, as we were promoting our new family day.
'The family day will take place on the last Saturday of every month to encourage families to take part through volunteering and exercise.
You may also want to watch:
'The event saw many families taking part with over 40 children volunteering or running.
'The parkrun is part of the Thetford Great Festival programme and Saturday's parkrun, the 190th event, was started by the patron of the festival, Elizabeth Truss, who watched 187 runners and walkers set off.
- 1 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 2 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 7 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 8 Man drowned after drifting out onto lake on air bed
- 9 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- 10 Staff at food firm receive £900 bonus each
'The mayor Terry Jermy, his consort Corinne Fulford and councillor Denis Crawford were also supporting the event.
'It was a complete honour to welcome our guests and Elizabeth was genuinely interested in the positive effect parkrun has had on communities.'