More than £1,000 donated to Beccles Hospital and Cancer Research UK in memory of Beccles woman
- Credit: Nick Butcher
More than £1,000 has been raised for Beccles Hospital in memory of a woman who relied on the support and services of the facility during her year-long battle with cancer.
Sybil Sayer, of Beccles, passed away on Saturday, August 5.
During Mrs Sayer's funeral at Waveney Memorial Park and Crematorium, mourners were given the option of donating to either the League of Friends of Beccles Hospital or Beccles Friends of Cancer Research UK.
In the end, £1,045 was raised for Beccles Hospital and £711.70 went to Cancer Research UK.
Cheques were presented to the respective charities on Monday, October 23.
You may also want to watch:
Jon Sayer, Mrs Sayer's husband, said: 'These cheques are the collection given in memory of my wife and we thank all the people who attended the funeral and have given so generously.
'I think my wife would be very surprised we were able to raise so much.'
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 8 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 9 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 10 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
Rosie Riches, who accepted the cheque on behalf of Cancer Research UK, was grateful for the donation.
She said: 'This is notably a lot more than most of the donations we have usually had over the past few years.
'It is a measure of how popular Sybil was.'
Mr Sayer, who acted as carer for his wife, praised both Beccles Hospital and Beccles Medical Centre for the constant support they provided during the difficult time.
He said: 'We feel that the health centre and Beccles Hospital are marvellous for what they do.
'There has been a lot of moaning lately about the centre, in particular the waiting times, but if there was anything we ever needed they were there.
'Any time we needed someone, either a doctor, matron or medic would visit us.'
Mr Sayer added: 'Towards the end the visits were nearly daily but they gave us the extra help we needed.
'We just called them and they came.'
As well as providing additional care the hospital also supplied a medical bed for Mrs Sayer.
Dr Anthony Bubb, chairman of the League of Friends of Beccles Hospital, accepted the cheque on behalf of the group.
The money donated will go towards hospital refurbishments, in particular the new physiotherapy department for in-patients.