Minister spends ‘uncomfortable’ night locked in Happisburgh church
- Credit: MAURICE GRAY
The sponsored sleep-in was organised to raise awareness of homeless at Christmas.
A local minister spent an 'uncomfortable' night locked in her church.
Rev Catherine Dobson joined parishioners in a sponsored sleep-in at Happisburgh Church, which was organised to raise awareness of the homeless at Christmas, and money for Norfolk charity the Benjamin Foundation.
They braved the cold in their sleeping bags for the cause and had to rely on hot soup, served up in the style of a soup kitchen by local business Hill House Inn, and each other's company to keep them warm.
The Rev Dobson, Jacquie Askew, Zoe Abigail, Sam and Mark Cornish, huddled up as the light dimmed and became very cold and dark.
You may also want to watch:
Praising those who supported the fundraiser, which has so far raised more than £600, the local minister said: 'We all should be aware of the vulnerable, who are homeless, and not necessarily due to their own fault as there are many reasons why they are 'stuck in a corner', literally.
'Yes, we found the experience uncomfortable, although we were fortunate to be able to lock ourselves in and, of course, unlike those who do not have any facilities, we did have a toilet. But the awareness brought in a great deal of interest and support.'
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 7 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 8 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 9 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 10 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
Donations can still be made online at www.virginmoneygiving.com by searching for 'Sam Cornish', 'Jacquie Askew', or 'Catherine Dobson'. Alternatively, cheques, made payable to 'The Benjamin Foundation', can be sent to the Rev Dobson, The Rectory, The Hill, Happisburgh, NR12 0PPW.