MGM secures rights to The Rock’s wrestling film about a Norwich family for $17.5m
- Credit: PA
American media company MGM is reportedly stepping into the ring to put the world rights to Fighting With My Family in a headlock.
Dwayne Johnson's wrestling drama was up for grabs at Berlin's European Film Market (EFM) and has reportedly been purchased by MGM for a whopping $17.5 million in one of the biggest EFM deals ever made.
The film, which is set to be written and directed by The UK Office's Stephen Merchant, will shine a spotlight on WWE Superstar Paige, real name Saraya-Jade Bevis and her wrestling family from Norwich.
MORE: American film and wrestling star The Rock reveals plans to make 'gritty' film about Norwich wrestling familyPaige began wrestling at the age of 13 and was named NXT Women's Champion and WWE Divas Champion in 2014, becoming the only person to hold the titles concurrently.
Game of Thrones actress Lena Headey has been cast to play Paige's mother, Julia Hamer-Bevis in the film, with Hot Fuzz actor Nick Frost portraying her husband, 'Rowdy' Ricky Knight.
Florence Pugh will be filling the boots of Paige and Jack Lowden will take on the role of her older brother Zak Knight.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 6 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 7 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover