Memorial service held for airman who died in Christmas Day motorcycle crash
- Credit: Archant
A memorial service has been held in honour of Airman Michael Mahony, who died on Boxing Day following a motorcycle crash on Christmas Day.
Michael Mahony, who was an Airman First Class with the US Air Force on RAF Lakenheath, was 22.
He was assigned to the 48th Maintenance Group, 48th Component Maintenance Squadron on the base as part of the 48th Fighter Wing.
The memorial took place on Friday, December 28, at 10am on the base, with all members of the Liberty Wing invited to attend.
Mr Mahony was involved in a collision on the A11 at Barton Mills just before 5.30pm on Christmas Day after a blue Kawasaki motorbike hit the central reservation at the junction with Newmarket Road.
You may also want to watch:
He was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge in a critical condition but sadly died on Boxing Day.
Col. John Kent, 48th Fighter Wing vice commander, said: 'The Liberty Wing is deeply saddened by the loss of Michael. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time.'
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church