Gorleston cellist narrowly misses out on BBC Young Musician of the Year award
- Credit: Paul Hawkins
An 18-year-old cellist from Gorleston has narrowly missed out on the prize of being named BBC Young Musician of the Year.
Maxim Calver competed in the final on Sunday night against 18-year-old saxophonist Rob Burton and 16-year-old pianist Lauren Zhang, who was crowned winner of the competition.
Maxim performed first at Birmingham's Symphony Hall with Tchaikovsky: Variations on a Rococo Theme, op. 33, and said afterwards: 'It is hard to put into words what an experience it was'.
'It doesn't matter what happens now, it is just such an amazing feeling to have been able to play to everyone and show that I can actually play this thing sometimes,' he said.
'It is something I really didn't expect was going to happen to me - it is such a privilege.'
You may also want to watch:
Lauren Zhang will now go on to perform on the BBC Radio 3 stage at BBC Music's The Biggest Weekend in Coventry on Monday 28th May, and also at a special BBC Young Musician 40th anniversary concert at the BBC Proms on Sunday 15 July at the Royal Albert Hall.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 4 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 6 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 9 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named