Marseille clean-up after violence before England’s Euro 2016 opener
- Credit: AP
The clean-up of Marseille was under way after violent clashes overshadowed the build-up to England's opening game of Euro 2016 as fans were involved in widespread disorder.
Disturbing footage of the second night of trouble showed English fans pelting objects into the street, showering the police with bottles and throwing chairs out of cafes.
Flares were also lit as officers deployed tear gas in an effort to disperse the troublemakers throughout the day.
Reacting to the violence, shadow home secretary Andy Burnham tweeted: 'When you think of the terror threat & everything the French are dealing with, makes behaviour of these England 'fans' even more embarrassing.'
He said: 'As ever, vast majority let down by a minority.'
You may also want to watch:
Bare-chested England fans sang songs about the IRA and German bombers being shot down as violence first broke out on Friday at around 6.20pm French time outside the Queen Victoria pub in the Old Port district.
Fist fights broke out between English, French and Russian-speaking men, and one man was thrown into the harbour after he was beaten to the ground by local fans.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 5 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 10 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
It comes before the England team have even kicked a ball in the tournament, with their opening game against Russia to be played at the city's Stade Velodrome.
This followed an England supporter suffering a head injury in Thursday night's brawl after being hit across the face with a wooden chair.