He hasn’t missed out! Mario joins Norwich City’s new-contract crew with 2021 extension
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City star Mario Vrancic has finally earned his own promotion reward, as the Canaries star became the latest to sign a new deal at Carrow Road.
The 30-year-old scored 10 goals and made nine more as City powered their way to the Championship title - and all off just 14 starts and 22 substitute appearances last term.
And having been out of contract come next summer, the Bosnian international has now signed a new deal that commits him to the Canaries until the summer of 2021.
"I'm obviously very pleased. I've enjoyed myself since day one and I'm really looking forward to the future," Vrancic told City's official web site. "The start to my time here was pretty strange, I wasn't happy with my performances but sometimes it just takes a few weeks, a few months maybe, but I'm very pleased now.
"I felt I did my job pretty well last season and I hope to continue like that this season as well.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm very, very pleased with my performances recently but the whole team and squad was very successful as well and that's the most important thing.
"It was definitely the best year of my career, especially because of my contribution and performances.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 5 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
"I feel like I've grown as a person as well which is really important too."
Vrancic played a pivotal role in City's Championship success during his second season at the club. His stunning free-kick in the seventh minute of injury time to earn a draw from the run-in visit of Sheffield Wednesday is already a classic.
The midfielder then drove a sublime shot into the top corner to seal City's Premier League promotion at Carrow Road against Blackburn, before his low drive at Villa Park eight days later sealed the EFL title.
Vrancic has since been recalled to the Bosnia and Herzegovina set-up for the first time since joining Norwich in the summer of 2017, from Paderborn in a deal reportedly worth around £650,000.
His new deal means out of City's 25-man touring squad to Germany this pre-season, only Dennis Srbeny has not signed a new deal since the last throes of the 2017-18 campaign - while excluding the season loans of Patrick Roberts and Ralf Fahrmann, Alex Tettey is the only member set to be out of contract in 12 months' time.
Vrancic has scored a total of 13 goals in 77 games during his two seasons with Norwich and now gets a shot at playing in the Premier League, having previously made almost 100 appearances in the Bundesliga.
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…