Manea driver’s lament: ‘Oh, dear! What can the matter be? Dear, dear! What can the matter be? Oh, dear! What can the matter be? My lorry’s too wide, so there.’
- Credit: Archant
A Fenland lorry driver caused traffic mayhem after his 50ft long lorry and trailer got stuck in a Hertfordshire town.
Police were alerted at about 1.30pm on Tuesday after the articulated lorry belonging to D&R Hankins of Manea got stuck while attempting to head up Winters Lane – situated next to The White Lion pub in Walkern.
Specialist recovery vehicles were called in but the High Street remained blocked for some time.
Emma Cannon, who lives at Three Limes situated next to Winters Lane, sent in pictures to our sister paper the Comet.
She said: 'This lane is very narrow and is signed with 'unsuitable for wide vehicles,' however the drivers and their sat navs do not take any notice resulting in this chaos.
'The road is completely blocked, so no emergency vehicles are able to get through.
'The house in the photos has belonged to the Cannon family for four generations and is a Grade II-listed building.
- 1 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 2 Seven beach walks with a cafe pit stop to try in Norfolk
- 3 Police stop 85 vehicles in one day amid safety crackdown
- 4 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 5 'Awe and disbelief' as thousands of bees swarm pub garden
- 6 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 7 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 8 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 9 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 10 'Opulent' farmhouse with pond on sale for £799k
'Councillor Ken Crofton said in 2015 that he wanted to implement a new traffic system/solution for the increased size and volume of traffic using Winters Lane and Totts Lane in Walkern, but as yet no action has been taken and little resolved.'
Police saw the funny side, using the Hertford and Ware Police Twitter feed to joke: 'Question, what is about 50 feet long, and unlikely to fit through the narrow streets of Walkern? #satnavfail'.