Man ordered to pay £1500 compensation to victim of Norwich nightclub attack

Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

A man, who severed an artery in the face of a University of East Anglia student after he punched him while holding a glass, in a Norwich nightclub, has been ordered to pay £1500 compensation to the victim.

Ashley King, 20, was on a night out at Mercy nightclub in Prince of Wales Road, when he mistakenly thought one of his friends might be attacked and swung a single punch at the student, forgetting he had a glass in his hand, Norwich Crown Court heard.

The court heard the victim suffered two 3cm cuts to his face, one of which severed an artery and caused him to lose a large amount of blood.

Rachel Cushing, prosecuting, said the victim had in fact been trying to act as a peacemaker when he felt a blow to his face.

'He at first felt no pain, then he realised his head was pouring with blood.'

You may also want to watch:

She said he was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and required stitches to the wounds and also treatment for the blood loss he suffered.

In an impact statement, the 20 year-old student said he was conscious of one of the scars near his ear and following the attack had missed time off his studies and had to do extra work to catch up.

Most Read

He also felt more nervous on nights out.

Ms Cushing said King was arrested at the scene, and even in interview had asked police if he could write a letter of apology to the victim.

King, of Blackbird Close, Bradwell, admitted wounding the victim on February 14, this year.

Michael Clare, for King, said it was not a case where he had deliberately glassed the victim.

'He did not realise when he struck out that he had a glass in his hand.'

He added: 'This defendant is remorseful from the moment he is interviewed.'

Mr Clare handed in a number of references to the judge and said King was of positive good character: 'He feels embarrassed and ashamed for what he has done.'

He said that King worked in his father's business and would be able to pay compensation.

He also deserved credit for his early guilty plea and said it was an isolated incident.

King's father also told the court how his son had become 'reclusive' since the incident and did not go out much now.

Judge Stephen Holt ordered King to pay £1500 compensation and also imposed a 14 month custodial sentence, suspended for two years.

He also imposed a four month curfew and ordered King to do 200 hours unpaid work.

He told King: 'Take this as a serious warning. You came very close to going to prison.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus