Man jailed after pleading guilty to Oulton Broad burglary
- Credit: Archant
A 40-year-old man has been jailed for five years after pleading guilty to a burglary in Oulton Broad.
Daniel Pearce, formerly of Chestnut Avenue in Oulton Broad, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court on February 21, where he pleaded guilty to burgling the home, in Oulton Broad, on September 26, 2016.
During the burglary a safe, containing thousands of pounds in cash and high quality jewellery, was stolen after Pearce broke a window to gain entry.
The incident was reported to police after the householder returned to the property around 5.15pm.
The safe was recovered a short time later by officers from woodland nearby- with many of the valuables no longer inside.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives conducted enquiries into the burglary and a forensic examination of the scene took place.
Following investigations and a media appeal police received a call from a nearby resident who had private CCTV, which showed a man walking up and down the road close to the burgled home.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
The man was identified as Pearce and he was arrested.
In interview Pearce initially refused to comment but then admitted he had been in the area at the time 'walking home the scenic route'.
With the evidence gathered by police, he was charged with the burglary and yesterday pleaded guilty to the break-in.
Det Insp Simon Bridgland, of Lowestoft CID said: 'Pearce's previous convictions for burglary offences were said to be a significant aggravating feature and, because of the high value of items stolen and that entry was forced to the property, the judge decided to give a substantial sentence of five years. Pearce will now be behind bars for some time, meaning that he can't commit further crime in Lowestoft.'
Officer in the case Det Con Matthew Fox said: 'This is a very just sentence which should send a clear message out to criminals who choose to steal from homes.
'We are grateful for the assistance received by members of the public who were instrumental in the collection of vital evidence, and would like to thank all those who played a part in helping us bring Pearce to justice.'