Man died from natural causes and drug toxicity after discharging himself from hospital
- Credit: Archant
A man with a long history of alcohol abuse died days after discharging himself from hospital, an inquest has heard.
Aynsley Watson, 36, from Howard Crescent in Dereham, was found dead in his home by his sister on August 22 last year.
A full inquest into the death was held at Norwich's Carrow House on Wednesday March 28.
Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake said Mr Watson, who was unemployed, died from a combination of natural causes and drug toxicity.
Mostly therapeutic levels of prescription drugs were found in his blood.
You may also want to watch:
There were no suspicious circumstances and the medical cause of death was bronchopneumonia and the toxic effects of drugs.
Evidence from family, medical experts and social workers, revealed that Mr Watson had suffered with alcohol abuse problems for several years, had gone through long periods of detox and sobriety, and was on various forms of medication.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
The inquest heard that Mr Watson also suffered with bipolar disorder, but did not have any suicidal thoughts, hypertension and type 2 diabetes.
Mrs Lake said: 'Mr Watson was clearly intelligent and friendly when he wasn't under the influence of alcohol. He had a long history of alcohol abuse.'
His mother, Sandra Watson, said her son had been 'drowsy' on the phone when she rang him multiple times on the day he died.
She said: 'He was a really nice, kind man who wouldn't say anything bad about anyone.'
Mr Watson's GP Dr Kumar said the 36-year-old displayed 'risk-taking behaviour' in terms of not always taking his medication as prescribed.
Dr Kumar added Mr Watson last visited the surgery on August 10 when he admitted to drinking alcohol for one week, after being sober for a year.
Mrs Lake said Mr Watson was admitted to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) on August 14 for dehydration and vomiting but self-discharged on August 18.
He was referred to the Norfolk Recovery Partnership and adult social services because of lack of 'self-care' but was visited daily by his mother.
Dr Simon Chan, NNUH consultant gastroenterologist, said: 'I felt he was medically fit and was suitable for community detox. He was committed to abstinence.'