Man detained after firearms stand-off
MARK NICHOLLS A man of 56 was arrested by police in Norwich tonight on suspicion of possessing a firearm after a seven-hour stand off.Police were called to Irstead Road in the Earlham area of the city just after 12 noon following reports of a man in possession of a weapon.
A man of 56 was arrested by police in Norwich tonight on suspicion of possessing a firearm after a seven-hour stand off.
Police were called to Irstead Road in the Earlham area of the city just after 12 noon following reports of a man seen in possession of a weapon.
The immediate area was sealed off as a number of police officers, including a negotiator, moved in. A man was later arrested at about 7pm after officers forced their way into the premises.
Superintendent Jo Parrett said:” The safety of members of the public was paramount. We sealed the scene as a precautionary measure while we worked to resolve the situation.”
The man was taken for questioning at Bethel Street Police Station in Norwich.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 7 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 8 Arrests after woman held hostage in home containing drugs and samurai sword
- 9 Hotel landlord admits threatening man with axe
- 10 Norwich independent school named one of best in East Anglia
Police say no-one was injured and no members of the public were threatened.