Man convicted of murder of Norfolk woman admits attacking child killer Mark Bridger in jail

Juvinai Ferreira. Pic: Submitted.

Juvinai Ferreira. Pic: Submitted.

A prisoner serving a life sentence for the murder of a mother-of-three in her Norfolk home has admitted attacking child killer Mark Bridger in a high-security jail.

A prisoner serving a life sentence for the murder of a mother-of-three in her Norfolk home has admitted attacking child killer Mark Bridger in a high-security jail.

Juvinai Ferreira, 22, who was found guilty at Norwich Crown Court in 2009 of murdering Elaine Walpole in Dereham, in April 2008, pleaded guilty to wounding Bridger when he appeared at Leeds Crown Court via video-link.

Ferreira attacked the 47-year-old in Wakefield Prison after Bridger was sentenced to life in jail for murdering April Jones, five, in Wales last year.

No details of the attack were given in court but according to reports at the time of the attack, which happened on July 7, Bridger needed hospital treatment to a face wound after he was slashed with a makeshift knife.

You may also want to watch:

Ferreira, who is originally from Gambia, will next appear at the court for sentencing on October 2.

At one point in the 20-minute hearing Ferreira, a convicted murderer, asked one of his guards: 'I thought this was going to be quick?'

Most Read

After Judge Christopher Batty told him the case was going to be adjourned, Ferreira said to him: 'Can you just not sentence me? I can't keep coming back.

Judge Batty told him he needed a pre-sentence report to assess his level of dangerousness and decide whether a second life term was appropriate.

Ferreira was told he must serve at least 22 years before being considered for parole after being convicted of murder of 47-year-old Elaine Walpole at her home in Driebholz Court, Dereham, in April 2008.

He had denied the charges of rape, murder and affray, but a jury at Norwich Crown Court unanimously found him guilty.

The defendant claimed he was 16 at the time of the offence and 17 when he was found guilty.

Judge Peter Jacobs lifted an order which had banned Ferreira from being named.

Detectives believed the suspect was older and pursued lines of enquiry to prove it, which led to the subsequent delay in sentencing

Radiographs of the defendant's wrists, clavicles and lower jaw (wisdom teeth) were examined by bone and dental experts.

Their findings, when compared with reference data obtained from the Gambia, established he was at least 20.

The result was accepted by the defence team.

Judge Jacobs recommended he be deported after being released from prison.

Elaine Walpole's body was discovered in Dereham on April 29 2008.

The post-mortem revealed three stab wounds to her head and neck and over fifty other injuries including a bite mark to her face.

Forensic examination of samples taken from her body identified the defendant who was arrested in Hertfordshire.

Speaking at the time of his conviction the officer in the case, Detective Inspector Jes Fry, said: 'This was a brutal murder and it was shocking to see the extent of the injuries suffered by Elaine Walpole. I would like to thank her family for their trust and confidence throughout the inquiry.

'This investigation was carried out by Norfolk Constabulary's Major Investigation Team (MIT) together with staff from the Forensic Investigations Department, and involved close liaison with the CPS and several forensic specialists who contributed significantly to this conviction.'

April Jones was abducted by Bridger while playing near her home in Machynlleth, Powys, last October, sparking the biggest missing person search in UK police history.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus