Man charged with stealing perfume from Watton pharmacy
A pharmacy owner has praised his staff and customers after they apprehended a suspected shoplifter at the weekend.
Police were called to Total Health Pharmacy in Gregor Shanks Way, Watton, at 12.15pm on Saturday.
Officers arrested a man on suspicion of shoplifting.
Geoff Ray, 45, owner of Total Health Pharmacy, said that before police arrived, a regular customer stood in front of the door. He added that Dalazs Varadi, store manager, stopped the suspect from leaving.
Mr Ray believed four other members of staff were in the store at the time and they also helped prevent the man from escaping. No-one was injured.
You may also want to watch:
He praised the 'fantastic' community spirit.
'It is really nice that a community can stand up for what is good and right.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 7 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 8 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 9 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
'I would personally like to thank the staff and customers for their support,' he added.
The police arrived quickly and arrested the man, according to Mr Ray.
CCTV was installed at the store eight months ago and the owner said officers took away footage from the store as part of their investigation.
Joseph Atherton, 40, of St John's Way, in Thetford, was charged with the theft of 11 bottles of perfume and will appear before Norwich magistrates on November 15.
Total Health Pharmacy, an independent business, was established in Watton five years ago.