Man in hospital after Broads bridge scrapes off scalp
- Credit: Archant
A man has been taken to hospital with serious scalp injuries after hitting his head on a Broads bridge while his boat went under it.
The 66-year-old was driving his vessel at 11.30am on Monday when the incident happened at Ludham Bridge.
On approaching the bridge he ducked his head, but lifted it too early. As a result, the skin on the top of his scalp was scraped off by the bridge’s underside - leaving his wife to commandeer the boat as he fell to the floor.
According to Hemsby’s lifeboat crew, who administered emergency first aid after being paged by Humber Coastguard, the man’s wife did a “fantastic job” of staying calm given the circumstances.
Daniel Hurd, lifeboat coxswain, said: “The poor gentleman who was injured was knocked down, and his wife did a fantastic job of pulling the boat over to the side where she then called for help.
You may also want to watch:
“The skin on his head had sort of come off in two parts: it looked extremely painful.
“We dressed the man’s wounds before an ambulance transferred him to the James Paget Hospital for further treatment.”
- 1 Police give out £200 penalty notices to day-trippers for second weekend running
- 2 'They think they can get away with it' - crowds flock to seaside village
- 3 Buy a former 1950s police station for sale for £330,000
- 4 Man dies after rescue operation to cardiac arrest call
- 5 100 cannabis plants found at three neighbouring properties in village
- 6 Family of missing man informed after body found in water
- 7 MP moves to reassure public as film crew hires out village homes
- 8 Norfolk Covid-19 cases at lowest level since October, figures show
- 9 Man in 70s punched and kicked repeatedly after being pulled from car
- 10 Greek chain looks set to take over former Giraffe restaurant
He added: “We respond to all kinds of incidents on the Broads but this is the first of its kind.”