Norwich Market fish and chip stall is given national award
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A Norwich Market staple has been awarded for its flawless fish and chips with a prestigious award.
Lucy's Fish and Chips has received national recognition in the form of the Fish and Chip Quality Award from the National Federation of Fish Friers (NFFF).
Co-owner Barclay Gray said the award was an honour, and thanked the hard work of his staff, as well as recognising the contribution of their high quality suppliers in producing such good food.
He said: 'We're the only market stall in the UK that's received this award; normally it's only fish and chip shops that get it.'
In order to qualify for the award, the NFFF 'go through absolutely everything', according to Mr Gray.
You may also want to watch:
Presentation, hygiene and cleanliness, staff training, equipment, frying and sales skills, and the quality of the cooked food all went under the microscope.
The stall is a family-run business, seemingly right back into its origins.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 8 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 9 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
Mr Gray said: 'It's a bit of a running joke, because people ask us who Lucy is and we don't really know her.'
He added that Lucy was the owner of the original stall, with it then being inherited by her son and then passed on to Mr Gray's cousin over six year's ago.
Mr Gray and his brother took over in co-ownership last November.
He said the recognition of the award should allow the business to thrive.
Finley Kidd tries Lucy's chips:
'When Barclay offered me a portion of chips to put to the test, it became obvious why the stall is award winning.
'Lucy's incorporates everything that is necessary for a truly delectable serving of traditional British chips – they were crispy without being too greasy, warm without scalding you, fluffy on the inside and, most importantly, tangibly fresh.
'All of the little crispy bits of potato at the bottom were my favourite part, but no chip lover could go wrong here.'