Lowestoft mother-of-five with terminal cancer hails ‘amazing’ community support
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A mother-of-five, with terminal cancer, has praised the generosity and 'amazing support' from the community.
Hundreds of people turned out on Saturday as two fund-raising events to support Sarah Wright, of Lowestoft, were held.
Mrs Wright was diagnosed with terminal cancer in May this year, meaning she will leave behind her husband Stuart and children Rhianna, nine, Lacey, eight, Lucas, six, Connor, three, and Logan, one.
Yet despite this tragic news, the 29-year-old has shown incredible strength to plan for her family's future – while also encouraging others to check for signs of the disease through her Mummy versus Cancer campaign.
Already people in Lowestoft and beyond have helped raise thousands for Sarah's cancer fund.
You may also want to watch:
And on Saturday, more than £3,000 was raised as hundreds of people turned out.
The first part of two events held at the Hotel Victoria at the weekend, saw a 'large raffle' featuring more than 130 prizes, face painting, balloon modelling, teddy tombola, cake sale, bric-a-brac, jewellery stall, competitions and entertainment held between 11.30am and 4pm.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 8 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
And then on Saturday night a medium evening with Samanda Ford saw 65 people attend. Speaking afterwards, a delighted Mrs Wright said: 'I am over the moon. We have had a much better turnout than I ever imagined – with hundreds of people through the doors.
'To have more than 130 prizes in the raffle, which were all donated by local businesses, was amazing – I can't thank everyone enough. A massive thank you goes to everyone who has helped raise this money. It is lovely to have so many people turn out.
'I have lived all my life in Lowestoft and I am so proud of this town and people in the community for this amazing support. The evening with Samanda went really well and everyone had an amazing time,' she added.
'I have counted up what we have made so far, with a few donations to come in but so far the total stands at £3,494 from Saturday's events.
'I want to thank everyone who made these event possible, but especially Louise, Jennifer, Tammy, Sarah and Whitney who all worked so hard on organising this fundraiser.'
? For more information visit www.mummyvscancer.com/my-story