Lowestoft mother-of-five with terminal cancer hails ‘amazing’ community support
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
A mother-of-five, with terminal cancer, has praised the generosity and 'amazing support' from the community.
Hundreds of people turned out on Saturday as two fund-raising events to support Sarah Wright, of Lowestoft, were held.
Mrs Wright was diagnosed with terminal cancer in May this year, meaning she will leave behind her husband Stuart and children Rhianna, nine, Lacey, eight, Lucas, six, Connor, three, and Logan, one.
Yet despite this tragic news, the 29-year-old has shown incredible strength to plan for her family's future – while also encouraging others to check for signs of the disease through her Mummy versus Cancer campaign.
Already people in Lowestoft and beyond have helped raise thousands for Sarah's cancer fund.
And on Saturday, more than £3,000 was raised as hundreds of people turned out.
The first part of two events held at the Hotel Victoria at the weekend, saw a 'large raffle' featuring more than 130 prizes, face painting, balloon modelling, teddy tombola, cake sale, bric-a-brac, jewellery stall, competitions and entertainment held between 11.30am and 4pm.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 5 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 6 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 7 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 8 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 9 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 10 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
And then on Saturday night a medium evening with Samanda Ford saw 65 people attend. Speaking afterwards, a delighted Mrs Wright said: 'I am over the moon. We have had a much better turnout than I ever imagined – with hundreds of people through the doors.
'To have more than 130 prizes in the raffle, which were all donated by local businesses, was amazing – I can't thank everyone enough. A massive thank you goes to everyone who has helped raise this money. It is lovely to have so many people turn out.
'I have lived all my life in Lowestoft and I am so proud of this town and people in the community for this amazing support. The evening with Samanda went really well and everyone had an amazing time,' she added.
'I have counted up what we have made so far, with a few donations to come in but so far the total stands at £3,494 from Saturday's events.
'I want to thank everyone who made these event possible, but especially Louise, Jennifer, Tammy, Sarah and Whitney who all worked so hard on organising this fundraiser.'
? For more information visit www.mummyvscancer.com/my-story