Lowestoft men given long jail sentences for violent burglary in the town

Leslie Colvin

Leslie Colvin - Credit: Archant

Two Lowestoft men have been jailed for a total of more than 22 years this afternoon for their involvement in an aggravated burglary in which two women were seriously injured.

Alan Harwood

Alan Harwood - Credit: Archant

Leslie Colvin, 31, of London Road South, was found guilty of aggravated burglary and two counts of GBH after an 11-day trial at Ipswich Crown Court in early March.

Alan Harwood, 31, of High Street, pleaded guilty to the offences as the trial was about to start.

Today both appeared at Ipswich Crown Court for sentencing with Colvin being jailed for 14 years and Harwood eight years and nine months.

The court heard that police had been called to the mid-terrace home in Cambridge Road, Lowestoft, at about 2.40am on Monday August, 27 by a member of the public who had heard a disturbance at the address.


You may also want to watch:


Officers found the front door smashed in and then discovered a 47-year-old woman and a 28-year-old woman, both with serious injuries, in a back room at the property.

Colvin and Harwood had forced their way into the home and viciously assaulted both women.

Most Read

The 47-year-old had been repeatedly struck around the head and the younger woman struck a number of times with a crowbar.

Gold jewellery and a handbag were taken before both men left via the front door.

The 47-year-old woman was left with life threatening injuries including a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain, while the 28-year-old sustained a broken arm and head wounds.

Both were initially taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston but the 47-year-old was later transferred to Addenbrookes' Hospital in Cambridge..

Colvin and Harwood were told they would have to serve two thirds of their sentence before being eligible for parole and both were given extended licence periods - five years for Colvin and three years six months for Harwood.

After today's sentencing Det Chief Insp Steve Mattin, senior investigating officer in the case, said he was pleased with the outcome.

He said: 'This was a savage attack on two defenceless women in their own home and, while the incident was not random, Colvin and Harwood clearly intended to cause their victims substantial harm.

'As we have said previously it was only due to luck and the skill of medical staff that the 47-year-old woman survived.

'Incidents of this nature are fortunately rare but the sentences passed today show that when they do occur the perpetrators can expect substantial prison terms.

'We believe this sends a message that such violence will not be tolerated and stands as warning to others contemplating similar acts.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus