Lowestoft man given suspended jail sentence for supplying cannabis
A Lowestoft man convicted of possessing cannabis was caught selling the drug only weeks later.
Stephen Damerell, 53, was fined �200 in March for possessing cannabis but in April he was found to have more of the drug when he was stopped by police during a drugs search several weeks later in April, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Hugh Vass, prosecuting, said officers who searched Damerell's flat found scales, re-sealable plastic bags and herbal cannabis with a street value of �200. Drug-related text messages from Damerell's customers were found on his mobile phone.
The court heard Damerell made full admissions to police about what he had been doing and said he had resorted to selling cannabis to make some money after receiving the �200 fine weeks earlier.
Damerel,l of Milton Road East, admitted possessing cannabis with intent to supply and supplying cannabis. He was given a four-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and made the subject of a nine-month drug rehabilitation order.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Thompson, for Damerell, said his client had received help for his use of drugs and for a time had been completely free from cannabis. However he had suffered a mild stroke and had started using the drug for pain relief. Mr Thompson said that when he was initially fined �200 Damerell was on benefit, so in order to pay off his fine and to supplement his own cannabis use, he had supplied the drug to adults who were already users.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
- 10 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m