Lowestoft dog owner urges others to buy pet insurance after Labrador’s life-saving operation
- Credit: Archant
A dog owner whose beloved pooch nearly died after swallowing a squeaky toy has urged people to take out pet insurance.
Dale Parker of Hervey Street in Lowestoft thought he had pet insurance for Labrador Max, but had mistakenly not renewed it.
And when Max, who is nearly two, started being sick earlier this month, Mr Parker was in for an expensive trip to the vets.
'He was sick eight or nine times,' said the 23-year-old. 'He wasn't himself and the vet thought he might have a stomach bug. But he was still off his food so we got an emergency appointment and they could feel something in his intestines.'
Scans revealed Max needed an operation to dislodge part of a dog toy along with 20cm of his intestines - and the vet needed at least £1,000 to perform the life-saving operation.
You may also want to watch:
And with no insurance, Mr Parker was left with no choice but to borrow money to pay for Max's operation.
'They said he would need a operation that night or he wouldn't survive the weekend,' said Mr Parker. 'Of course me and my partner were in tears and the vet then said it was going to cost £1,600 and that if he did not have it he would die.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
'We don't have that sort of money sitting around and to make it worse when I checked his insurance I noticed that I had accidentally taken out home contents insurance twice - I don't understand how but I did.
'It's not a situation you want to find yourself in. It was awful, having to think about saying goodbye.
'I think it made the situation worse because we were worrying about getting the money and then paying it back. It really stressed me out.'
And Mr Parker says he has learnt a valuable lesson from Max's ordeal.
'Just get insurance no matter what it costs,' he said. 'It's a bit late but we have made sure we've got insurance now.
'It was an expensive lesson to learn.'
Now back at home, Mr Parker said Max is making a good recovery.