Lowestoft diamond couple are a ‘wonderful example’ to all
- Credit: Nick Butcher
They may have been married for 60 years - but the love is as strong as ever for one Lowestoft couple.
Dennis and Shirley Bidle celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary on Thursday, January 5 surrounded by friends and family - whom Mr Bidle believes are essential to of a long and happy marriage.
'We have always been lucky to have wonderful friends and family.
'Shirley and I were just meant to be together, it's a mutual bond that has continued for 60 years.
'I love her to bits,' said 81-year-old Mr Bidle.
You may also want to watch:
The pair met aged 18 at the youth clubs of South and North Lowestoft Congregational Churches and their relationship began one year later in 1955.
They were engaged in 1956 and married at South Cliff Congregational Church on January 5 1957, with the reception held at the Tudor Hall, Lowestoft.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
Mrs Bidle, 81, said: 'It was a beautiful day. The sun was shining but it was very windy and my veil went floating down the road for a moment!
'After the reception there were no cars left to take me back, so I was pushed home in a wheelbarrow with the cake on my lap.'
The couple, both born and bred in Lowestoft, went on to have two daughters - Sandra, 55, and Paula, 52, as well as one grandson Richard, 24.
The couple's eldest daughter, Sandra Brown, added: 'They have always been a wonderful example of how to treat people and family and friends always come first.
'They both have a fantastic sense of humour, which is never far from the surface.'
Mr and Mrs Bidle celebrated their landmark anniversary with a small gathering of family and friends, enjoying a buffet and drinks at their Lowestoft home in Cranesbill Road.