Lowestoft couple’s special platinum occasion
- Credit: Archant
They first met on Christmas Eve in 1945.
And that chance meeting for two teenagers turned out to be the best present of all, as John and Doreen Smith recently marked their platinum wedding.
The Lowestoft couple enjoyed a special surprise party as they celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary with friends and family from across the country at the Hotel Victoria.
Mrs Smith, 88, said: 'It was an absolutely beautiful surprise. We did not know anything about it and we had a wonderful time.'
Mr Smith, 89, added: 'We live in Glenwood Court, and my son Alan and his wife said that we would go out just the four of us for a meal. Walking along the road we saw Alan wearing his best suit, and soon we realised that all the family from everywhere were turning out for us.
'It was a great surprise as there were family and friends and people we had not seen for a long time.'
Relatives from Bristol, High Wycombe, Surrey, Middlesex and elsewhere all descended on the Hotel Victoria for the surprise celebrations.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 4 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 5 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 6 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 9 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 10 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
Mrs Smith, who was born in Pakefield, moved to London with her mother where she met her future husband.
Mr Smith recalled how they first met on Christmas Eve 1945. He said: 'I was walking down the road when I saw Doreen and her friend.'
They would go on to spend 15 months together before they married on March 17, 1947.
Mr Smith ran his own contract cleaning company in the capital until he retired and the couple moved to Lowestoft 20 years ago as they both loved the area and had been regular visitors throughout their married life.
For their 50th wedding anniversary, the couple were lucky enough to have been chosen to join the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at a garden party at Buckingham Palace in 1997 as the Royal couple were also celebrating their golden wedding.
And as Mr and Mrs Smith marked their 70th anniversary last month, their son Alan and family arranged a secret party to celebrate. The couple were joined by many friends and relatives including their son Alan, five grandchildren, 10 great grandchildren and two great, great grandchildren.
'We have always got on,' Mrs Smith said. 'We would like to thank Alan as he really worked hard to arrange it all – we were really surprised and happy.'