Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk becomes patron of Norwich-based charity
The Queen's representative in Norfolk has become patron of a Norwich-based charity.
Richard Jewson, lord lieutenant of Norfolk, has agreed new patronage of child bereavement charity Nelson's Journey.
The charity supports children and young people under the age of 18, living in Norfolk, who have experienced the death of a significant person in their life.
Mr Jewson joins Norfolk journalist Carol Bundock, Harry Potter actor Chris Rankin, BBC Radio Norfolk presenter Stephen Bumfrey and CCN Live radio presenter Kaz Carter as one of the charity's patrons.
He said: 'I have known the work of Nelson's Journey for many years, and greatly admire the help they give to bereaved children. It will be a privilege to serve as a patron of the charity, as they continue to develop the service they give.'
You may also want to watch:
Nelson's Journey currently estimates that one in 29 school aged children have experienced the death of a parent or sibling. In Norfolk, this equates to about 3,825 children.
Colin Lang MBE, the charity's chief executive, said: 'I am extremely pleased that the lord lieutenant has agreed to become our patron.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 4 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 5 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 6 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 7 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 8 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 9 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 10 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
'We are all looking forward to working with him to raise the profile of the work that Nelson's Journey does with bereaved children in Norfolk.'
Andrew Merricks, the charity's chair of trustees, added: 'We are delighted that Richard Jewson has agreed to become a patron of Nelson's Journey, and are certain that his support will increase awareness of the charity and its vital work in the years ahead.'
Has a well known name given their support to your charity or organisation? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326.