Your next stop will be Cambridge North - rail minister in talks to accommodate extra stop from King’s Lynn and Norwich
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Transport bosses are in talks over how to accommodate extra passengers on 'already full' trains from King's Lynn to Cambridge when a new stop opens on the line near Cambridge next year.
A study into lengthening platforms to accommodate eight carriage trains is due to report back soon after vital work at Ely to allow more twice-hourly services was delayed beyond 2019, rail minister Claire Perry has said.
A new station near Cambridge Science Park is due to open in early 2017, and it is likely some trains running from Norwich to Cambridge and King's Lynn to Cambridge will make a stop there.
In a letter to West Norfolk MP Sir Henry Bellingham this week, she said: 'Passenger numbers between Cambridge and London have grown quickly and faster than forecast. Peak trains are heavily loaded and we are very conscious of the crowding that occurs. King's Lynn services are already full and adding calls at Cambridge North means we need to explore with GTR [Govia Thameslink Railway – which operates the King's Lynn to London line] how King's Lynn peak trains can be extended from four cars to eight cars to provide extra capacity.'
Sir Henry said that while it was still bad news that the capital improvements to Ely North Junction had been pushed back beyond 2019, there was some good news regarding the introduction of a half-hourly service, and the longer trains.
You may also want to watch:
'Improving our rail service is one of my key priorities over the course of this Parliament and I will definitely be keeping up the pressure.'
A DfT spokesman said: 'Cambridge North station will help to make journeys better for passengers when it opens. We are currently working with the industry to establish which services will call at the station and when, taking into account the needs of local passengers without unduly affecting existing service performance. Further details will be provided in due course.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 4 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 5 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 8 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 9 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 10 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
Should trains stop at the new Cambridge North station? Write (giving your full contact details) to: The Letters Editor, EDP, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email EDPLetters@archant.co.uk