US Election 2016: Late to the party? 10 of Donald Trump’s pledges
- Credit: AP
While many say Donald Trump's march to the White House was built on outlandish claims, tens of millions of American voters liked what they heard from the Republican candidate.
So what exactly are his pledges?
• Trump called for a ban on Muslims entering the US after the San Bernadino terrorist attack in December last year. He later said the proposal was 'just a suggestion' and outlined plans for 'extreme vetting' of would-be immigrants.
• Perhaps best known is his desire to build a wall separating Mexico and the US to keep out illegal immigrants, which he said the Mexicans would pay for.
• He promised to put punitive tariffs on goods from China, which he accused of destroying US jobs.
You may also want to watch:
• He has pledged to reduce taxes across the board, especially for working and middle-income Americans, and to revise and update individual and corporate tax codes.
• Thousands of new jobs in construction, steel manufacturing and other sectors are on the agenda, as well as investments in infrastructure.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 4 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 5 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 6 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 7 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
• Under President Trump, the US Army would be increased to 540,000 active duty soldiers.
• He has promised to crack down on cyber security, with an immediate review of all US cyber defences.
• Obamacare would be repealed and replaced with Health Savings Accounts.
• There was a lot of talk during campaigning on defeating ISIS through Trump's foreign policy. He plans to do this by working with allies in the Middle East and pursuing aggressive military operations.
• Trump has a pro-life stance, and though he has not given any formal plans, he came under fire earlier this year for suggesting he would ban abortions and give 'some form of punishment' to those who had them.