Remembrance Day and Christmas free parking boost in north Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
A 'number of requests' have prompted a decision to provide free parking at North Norfolk District Council's car parks on Remembrance Sunday and the two Saturdays closest to Christmas.
NNDC will allow free parking from 8am-6pm on November 10 and from 2-11pm on December 14 and 21.
A spokesman said: 'The council has decided to waive parking fees all day, to 6pm, on Remembrance Sunday following requests from local communities, and for the afternoons and evenings on 14 and 21 December to help persuade local people to buy their Christmas gifts and supplies locally, to support north Norfolk's traders at this crucial time of year, and as a gesture of goodwill for the festive season.'
Rhodri Oliver, NNDC deputy leader and cabinet member for assets, said: 'In the past a number of requests have been received asking us to provide free parking on Remembrance Sunday and so this year we have taken action by suspending car parking charges for the day to help those who wish to show their respect and attend the special Remembrance ceremonies held in our towns.
'One of North Norfolk District Council's key aims is to support local businesses and with Christmas being critical for traders we want to encourage people to use the wealth of shops on their doorsteps. I hope that investing in some free car parking in the run up to Christmas will encourage people to shop and to keep their shopping local.'
You may also want to watch:
NNDC manages 26 pay and display car parks, at Cromer, Sheringham, Holt, Wells, Fakenham, Stalham, North Walsham, East Runton, Happisburgh, Mundesley, Overstrand, Sea Palling and Weybourne.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 6 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 7 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 8 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 10 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman