Queen announces government’s plans
The Queen has delivered her speech in the House of Lords setting out laws the government will make over the next year.
The programme of 15 bills and 4 draft bills includes measures to boost economic growth and reform the banking sector and energy and water markets.
The Queen said: 'My government's legislative programme will focus on economic growth, justice and constitutional reform.
'My ministers' first priority will be to reduce the deficit and restore economic stability.'
Despite having caused a rift between backbench coalition MPs, legislation to reform the House of Lords was also included in the speech.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile there were also measures to reform public pensions and adult care and to improve provision for children with special educational needs.
It was also confirmed that legislation to introduce a new watchdog to ensure supermarkets treated suppliers fairly would be set up, a measure reported in The Eastern Daily Press last week.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 'Pray for Paul today' - wife's plea as gallbladder op victim faces surgery
- 10 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146