Last chance to have say over fate of Norfolk’s children’s centres, amid protests and anger
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
The consultation over controversial proposals which would see 46 of 53 children's centres in Norfolk closed comes to an end today.
Norfolk County Council announced in September that a review of the service could see 46 of the 53 children's centres close their doors.
They said seven would remain open and serve as bases for staff doing outreach work. The council, which is cutting the budget for the services to £5m, says it would mean a better service, less reliant on buildings and reach more families.
However, the proposals met opposition from parents, protestors and parish councils, with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn backing the fight and calling the proposals 'disastrous.'
Protestors against the proposals marched through Great Yarmouth on Saturday. Mike Smith-Clare, Labour county councillor, said it showed what impact the centres had on people's lives and how important it was to save them.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Norwich City Council's cabinet will agree its response to the consultation on Wednesday. The Labour-run council is expected to express its disappointment that their County Hall counterparts did not speak to City Hall before coming up with the proposals.
The council will say it does not support the proposals or closure of any Norwich children's centre, given h'igh levels of deprivation and child poverty in the city'.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 5 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 10 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
While recognising the strain on County Hall's budgets, the city council will say the proposals came with a lack of evidence.
The council will say it wants to work with County Hall to develop a model for services in Norwich for early years support.
Karen Davis, Labour cabinet member for social inclusion, said: 'It puts us and the other districts in a really difficult position, because we want to see the best provision possible.
'It's frustrating the county did not speak to us before putting these proposals forward.'
Stuart Dark, chairman of the county council's children's services committee said last week: 'By spending our money on frontline services, rather than buildings, we'll be able to provide more focused one-to-one and group support, with a more consistent service across the county.'
Consultation, here, ends today.