Photo gallery: ‘Undertaker’ leads Aylmerton woodland burial site protest march
- Credit: Archant
A man in an undertaker's hat led a procession of angry villagers this lunchtime on a slow march to protest about the access to a woodland burial site.
The 55-acre site at Aylmerton, set to be the third in Norfolk, was passed by North Norfolk District Council planners on April 10 by a single vote.
But locals were angry at the number of abstentions by committee members, and today they took to the lanes near the proposed access to the burial ground to make their feelings known.
More than 80 people joined the march, waving placards opposing the NNDC decision to allow the plan by applicant David Oliver.
Robin Stubbs, one of the organisers, said: 'We have major concerns about the number of funeral corteges that would come through the proposed route.
You may also want to watch:
'They would have to come off the A148 and up Sandy Lane, then double back on themselves down Tower Road, where the proposed access is.
'If they don't come from that direction, they would have to come along the road from West Runton, mixing with holiday traffic and caravans. The roads are simply too narrow.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 5 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 9 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
He said problems would 'snowball' over the years, and suggested access to the woodland burial site, which is set to back onto the existing Cromer cemetery at East Runton, should be from the A148 and through the cemetery.
Local resident Mark Tucker said: 'We are here to make our feelings clear that we are not in favour of this. The access is totally inappropriate from Tower Road. There's better access options that could be explored.
'We're worried about the added traffic going through these narrow lanes.'
Urban Gregory said: 'I would've thought common sense would apply. The road up there is not sufficient for the volume of traffic.'
Mr Oliver previously said that Norfolk was 'grossly under-represented' for woodland burial sites, and added he only expected two funerals to take place each day.
Planning officers received 99 letters of support and a petition of 204 signatures in favour of the application. But 71 letters of objection were received.