Norwich North MP Chloe Smith describes Tom Daley as her political hero
- Credit: Archant
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith has revealed Olympic diver Tom Daley was her 'political hero' in the week he publicly announced he had a boyfriend.
The former minister made the comments while speaking about her project to get more young people to get involved in politics,
The backbencher said there was an accusation that politicians did not do anything,
'I make it my personal mission to overturn that, It's about what we as individuals can do. Your actions really do matter. What you choose to do and the consequences of the stand you take really matters. You can have a voice that is heard and indeed can lead as well. If you care about your community, get in there and lead it.'
Ms Smith said during the interview with the Huffington Post UK, in the week Mr Daley made the revelation, that he was an example of what she wanted to see more of.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'Actually for me, my political hero from this week is Tom Daley. There's a young man who has had the guts to come out and speak the truth.'
'I think it's extremely courageous and extremely human that he has said what he has said. I also think it shows a great awareness of his own leadership role. Not being afraid to do that. I really hope he is a role model for lots of other young people.'
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch