Norwich MP backs Boris Johnson in Conservative leadership race
A Norwich MP has backed Boris Johnson in the leadership race to become the next prime minister.
According to the official campaign to elect Mr Johnson as the leader of the Conservative party, Norwich North MP Chloe Smith said: "Our democracy deserves energy and enthusiasm at the top and someone able to reach out to the whole country."
She joins fellow Norfolk MP Elizabeth Truss, who represents South West Norfolk, in backing Mr Johnson.
Richard Bacon, MP for South Norfolk, has declared his support for Michael Gove, while North West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham has done so for Dominic Raab.
Peter Aldous has declared for Mr Gove, and while George Freeman, for Mid Norfolk, is yet to officially declare, he is believed to also be backing Mr Gove.
You may also want to watch:
Keith Simpson, MP for Broadland, and Brandon Lewis, for Great Yarmouth, are yet to declare.
On Friday, Theresa May officially stepped down as leader of the Conservative party, but will remain as prime minister until her successor is chosen.
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 8 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
The winner is expected to be announced in the week of July 22.